Friday, March 9, 2007

Renewing friendships


The Chinese New Year break was a good time for catching up with relatives and friends. All the more reason for having those lunches, dinners and get-togethers. It was also an opportunity for me to meet up with some former music students of mine. These are the ones who have made an impression on me during the course of their music studies and whose friendship I treasure. I have made it a point to try and keep in touch and meet up for a meal whenever possible. Some are in colleges and universities now while others have graduated with Bachelor's & Master's Degrees and even a PhD in their various fields of study.



Khen Joon is a former student I managed to meet up with recently. We went for a "mamak" meal at the ABC Big Town Cafe. I remember him as a 6-year-old when he first started taking music lessons from me. He was not really keen then and always "didn't feel well" on music lesson day.

Gradually (and may I add, patiently), I managed to instill the love of music in him. With the constant encouragement from his parents and I, his interest grew and he became one of my best students. His renewed interest in music also led him to take up and excel in the guitar as well. He is now pursuing an engineering degree.

In the following video, he plays the theme song from "Back To The Future". It was taken a couple of years ago. Although its was not his best performance, regretably, it was the only one recorded.


No comments: