Friday, May 25, 2007

The Atelier has arrived

About a month ago, I was invited to an organ workshop and performance by Roland Asia Pacific based in PJ. I was rather surprised to hear that Roland produces organs as it's hardly heard of in this part of the world. We are familiar with Yamaha organs, or Electones, the company's trademark name for its organs.

Yes, we've heard of Roland keyboards, synthesizers and combo equipment but organs? Apparently, Roland organs are well-known in the UK, US and Europe but not in Asia. Yamaha Electones, on the other hand, is the reverse. So now, Roland thinks it's time for their organs to make an impact here. Not knowing what to expect, I brought along a couple of my students and went to the workshop with an open mind.

When we arrived, we were introduced to the special guest performer Mr Ryouki Yamaguchi who would also be conducting the workshop. It was actually more of a mini concert as he let his fingers and feet do most of the talking, which I didn't mind at all. He did explain some special features of the organs. The model that was featured is the Atelier (that's what Roland calls their organs) AT45. It is the 2nd one in the line-up after the baby AT15. There are 3 bigger models after the AT45, namely the AT60SL, AT80SL and the flagship AT90SL.



So, was the organ good? Was it up to expectations? Can the Roland Ateliers take on the Yamaha Electones? Well, to be fair, they both produce excellent organs and have their respective special features. But I must say that it was certainly an eye-opener for me (and my students) as what we heard really made us sit up and take notice. I for one in particular, will definitely want to play on a Roland organ for a change. There are some very good features not found on the Yamahas that I really like. The orchestral sounds on the Atelier is simply amazing. Very rich, warm and realistic. Roland has also included some very thoughtful features in the Atelier and made it very easy to play.





Okay, the last thing you'd want me to do is to go on and on...

So, why don't you watch Mr Yamaguchi perform and listen to the organ for yourself. I managed to record some videos of his performance at the workshop.

Here are two video clips. In the first one, he performs Vivaldi's Violin Concerto featuring the Chamber Orchestra Strings and Harpsichord.
I say, put a great instrument into the hands of a maestro like Mr Yamaguchi and you get nothing but lovely music. I really love this one.





At the end of the workshop and as a finale, we were told that we could request any song and Mr Yamaguchi would play it on the spot. I mean wow! Someone requested "Embraceable You" which he promptly performed beautifully. Then I requested for a jazz number that would highlight the organ's special jazz sounds. With a push of a few buttons, this is what he played. The amazingly realistic and cool sounds of the Jazz Scat voices were used. Close your eyes and I'm sure you'll think that you're listening to a group of live jazz singers.




Now you know why I want to get my hands on one!

Want more? Yes, I got more, videos that is. Go to YouTube and search for "Ryouki Yamaguchi" (my u/name = ecsm23).


No comments: